Europeana Food and Drink Touring Exhibition
Our exhibitions explore the some general themes of cake, including how to define ‘cake’, as well as its social history and evolution. Consider that in the middle of the 19th century cake was a luxurious dessert – because of very expensive ingredients such as sugar – it wasn’t until the middle of the 20th century that cake became a dessert for everyone.
We will focus on some more particular cakes, such as the Belgian Epiphany cake, birth cakes, birthday cakes, wedding cakes, fruit cakes and pies. Finally, we will discover how different cultures understand cake and what foods they use in their celebrations, if not cake, then always with something sweet!
The touring exhibition tells the cake story in Dutch as it travels through Belgium, come and visit us:
- 2nd October – 30th November 2015: Bakkerijmuseum, Veurne
- 8th – 15th February 2016 (half term) Bakkerijmuseum, Veurne
- 22nd February – 20th March 2016 Library Voeren, Voeren
- 12th – 13th March 2016 VCCV Het Veltman Huis, Sint-Martens-Voeren
- 22th March – 20th April 2016, Keizerzaal | Abdijsite Sint-Truiden, Sint-Truiden
- 22nd April – 31th May 2016, Woonzorgcentrum Edouard Remy, Leuven
More infos (Dutch): www.hetvirtueleland.be